The Best Bird Bath Heater & De-Icer: Top Standalone Heaters For Feathered Friends on Winter - Reviewed
Hi there, bird lover!
Do you know winter is a great opportunity for you to attract birds to your patio or backyard?
How is this possible, you wonder...
Birds find it hard to find water in winter and will appreciate a free source close to their surroundings.
The downside is, most bird baths during winter will also be frozen solid.
This is where the good part comes in:
With the help of a bird bath heater or de-icer, you can easily dethaw your bird bath with the help and take in the sight of your feather friends enjoying the snowy scenery.
Bird Bath heaters are separate heating components to add to existing bird baths to keep them from freezing. They are different from the heated bird baths. Heated bird baths have an in-built heating system.
This article would review some of the best bird bath heaters that you can find in the market today.
- Best Overall: Songbird Essentials SE994 Bird Bath & Multi-Use De-Icer
- Best Energy Saver: K&H Super Ice Eliminator
- Best Budget Option: Farm Innovators Model C-250
- Longest Cord: API 250D Birdbath De-icer with Guard and 6-Foot Cord
4 Best Bird Bath Heaters Reviewed
1. Best Overall - Songbird Essentials SE994 Bird Bath & Multi-Use De-Icer
Songbird Essentials SE994 Bird Bath & Multi-Use De-Icer is an all-rounder, not just for use but also for its features.
First off, it has a unique and strong build which doesn’t collect lime deposits like most bird bath de-icers. Its immunity to mineral build-up gives it a long lifespan.
Now, to its main job.
The SE994 de-icer keeps water from freezing on cold winter days without making the bird bath water too hot for the birds. This efficiency is a combination of its 150-watt power and thermostat control.
Not to forget that it is multi-purpose and works with all types of bird baths and whatever that needs to stay liquid. In other words, you can use in other animal water feeders.
It also has a cord that’s long enough to stretch down to an outlet and keep the ring weighted down in the bird bath.
Like most other trusted brands, this Songbirds de-icer comes with a 3-year warranty.
In the end, you can be sure you will get a bang for your buck with this bird bath heater.
- Reduced corrosion due to the non-stick coating
- Cast aluminum construction
- Designed for multiple home uses
- Very Versatile
- Some users have theirs stop working after a few months (but your warranty covers this)
2. Best Energy Saver - K&H Super Ice Eliminator
K&H Super Ice Eliminator is one of the best bird baths de-icers you can find anywhere. K & H are a customer-oriented company and maintain that policy with the Super Ice Eliminator.
Perhaps the reason why this bird bath heater has one of the most online reviews and its features speak for it.
At first glance, its design is one most people have never seen in any other bird bath heater. Then, it uses as low as just 50 watts to keep a standard sized bird bath from freezing over, and 80 watts for larger sized ones.
That’s about half the power usage of most of its competitors and still works even in below zero temperatures.
Also, it has a sturdy aluminum housing which can be spray painted to match your bird bath. An 18” cord keeps the unit from falling out of the birdbath. It has a beautiful rock design that would blend naturally with any bird bath.
- Thermostatically controlled
- Its enamel finish is sturdy and tough
- It is easy to clean
- Will not rust, calcify or leave stains in your bird bath
- Can be personalized with a spray paint
- Relatively low energy usage
- The 18” cord might not be long enough
3. Best Economy Choice - Farm Innovators Model C-250
The Farm Innovators C-250 bird bath heater is a good choice for you if you have a large Bird Bath. It has a high energy consumption of 150 watts. Surprisingly, it is within the same price range as K&H Super Eliminator.
However, the cost of using this is three times higher than the cost of using the K&H Super Ice Eliminator. But before you choose K&H Super Ice Eliminator over Farm Innovators Model C-250, you have to consider a few things.
- Climate: K&H will keep the water unfrozen in areas with temperatures lower than -29 degrees F. If you live in colder climes, it is advisable that you use Farm Innovators Model C-250.
- Size of your Bird Bath: If your love for birds spurred you to buy a large bird bath, Farm Innovators Model C-250 is the best option for you.
Farm Innovators Model C-250 has a thermostat control, just like K&H, which makes it economical as it works only when it's needed.
It is made of patented cast aluminum for safety and efficiency and can be used in up to 25 gallons of water and even in a plastic container.
However, the C-250 builds up impurities for unknown reasons and has to be cleaned off to prevent hotspots and keep it working. The good thing is, you can prevent this by using corrosion X to make it last longer.
- Easy storage
- Saves electricity with its thermostatic feature
- Patented cast aluminum for safety and efficiency
- The cords may be too short. You may need to get new extension cords
- The heating element is prone to building lime deposits and impurities
4. Longest Cord - API 250D 200-Watt Pail and Birdbath De-icer with Guard and 6-Foot Cord
Technically, the API 250D 200-Watt Pail and Birdbath De-icer is not a traditional birdbath de-icer, but it works just the same.
You can apply it as a submersible unit for de-icing birdbaths during the cold winter season. Which is just what you need right?
That’s not all.
A feature you rarely find in your regular de-icer or bird bath heaters is its 6-Foot Long Cord.
With this, you never have to worry about extension cords or necessarily placing your bird bath close to a power outlet.
- It is safe for both metallic and non-metallic containers
- Has a thermostatic control
- Stainless steel guard for safety
- Has a 6-foot cord with an anti-chew protector
- Uses high electrical power
Why You Should Consider Getting A Bird Heater or De-Icer
#1 Meet Two Needs With One Heater
A functioning bird bath in the cold winter days is very hard to find.
By installing a De-icer to your Bird Bath, you can provide a stable water source for your feather friends without worrying about it getting frozen. Plus you get to keep your birds in your backyard all year round.
#2 Attract Even More Birds
Some birds like hummingbirds and Orioles will migrate to warmer climates during winter. However, you can attract a lot of winter birds to your yard if you install a heater to your bird bath during winter.
#3 Cheaper Way To Do #1 and #2
Installing a bird bath or de-icer is surely a cheaper way to do #1 and #2.
There is the more expensive option of getting a Heated Bird Bath. But you can save a few bucks by buying a bird bath heater or de-icer instead.
Note that: You can keep your bird bath and de-icer free of mold by adding a splash of hydrogen peroxide to the water in your birdbath. It wouldn’t hurt the birds, and it would save you a huge amount of stress during cleaning.
If you want to provide a stable source of drinking and bathing water for your birds during the cold winter days, a bird bath heater or de-icer will come in handy. Particularly if you have a bird bath already installed in your yard.
I highly recommend the Songbird Essentials SE994 Bird Bath & Multi-Use De-Icer. It is the tiniest of the lot, has the best thermostatic control and the best warranty package in case of any mishaps.
Regardless of that fact, this device has been known to have successfully served quite a few bird watchers for many winters and will do the same for you.